Today brought with it the start of Module 2. Accounting has swiftly moved on from the basics of bookkeeping to analysis of the most well-known companies including McDonalds, Starbucks and Loreal. It gave me the opportunity to reflect on what I have learnt over the last semester and how this links to the world we are now faced with. COVID-19 has changed our world forever, the extent of which is yet to be revealed. I believe that core to IMD’s syllabus is the emphasis on change and adaptation. Nothing remains static for very long!
- Strategy taught us that no incumbent is safe unless they change and evolve.
- Marketing showed us that companies have the ability to change the market, to introduce ideas that shift industries “up the S-curve”.
- Operations demonstrated to us that one’s company needs to be built upon a solid foundation to weather what the markets and the world throws at it.
- Finance gave us insight into the power of time on money with regards to the risks that are inherent in every situation.
- Entrepreneurship gave us the hopeful perspective that opportunity is found in the most unimaginable places, including in a post COVID-19 world.
- Economics literally blew our minds and allowed us to dream of what the world can be and what we need to do to fit in.
- Accounting was the building constructed around the knowledge that brought together many business topics.
- Leadership gave us confidence to lead no matter the situation.
The next module will, I believe, build on this foundation and assist us in continuing our journey to finding our own truth and discovering how we want to lead in this forever-altered world.